Saturday 3 May 2014

'The Industrial Identity Crisis'


Taken from 'The Industrial Identity Crisis' David A . Locher. Featured in 'Youth Culture:Identity in a postmodern world' 

The essay discusses the factors necessary for a subculture to successfully form and includes a case study of a potential subculture that 'failed to identify itself' and therefore failed to establish. I was drawn to this particular excerpt as it addresses the elitism of certain subcultures, using music fandoms as an example. The need for someone to construct an entire personality, including dress-sense, likes and dislikes in order to fit into a clique.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!
    http://minebrowse.com/

    ReplyDelete